Sunday, 25 July 2010

Letter from Robert Sturdy MEP regarding GMOs

20 July 2010

Dear Miss Wilson,

Thank you for your letter about the growing of GM crops in Britain.

Having worked on the Agriculture and Environment Committees in the European Parliament, as well as being a farmer myself, I share many of your concerns regarding GMO in the food chain.

I have for many years pointed out the obvious contradiction in EU policy, whereby we ban the use of GM crops while importing meat from South America which has been produced using GM feed. I think that we need a labelling system that allows consumers to make informed choices while respecting international trade rules.

For this reason I was delighted to see that the Conservatives recently supported an amendment to the Novel Foods Regulation calling for the introduction of a label which would detail if an animal had been fed GM or not.

I would like to point am not against the growing of GM crops per se, but think that we need to be 110% sure that they are safe. I think that it is not as simple as saying all GM is either good or bad. Yes it has its advantages, but we should not think that GM crops are the answer to all the world's problems.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me and please do not hesitate to get in touch should you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Sturdy MEP