Sunday, 2 January 2011

Holiday Retreat Report

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a pleasant holiday period and for those of you in the cold climate like me, managed to keep warm!



I came through the worm hole and there was light at the end of the tunnel.  However, I now seem to be in some sort of a time warp. 
mmm ........... new developments on the horizon

My Retreat was a success, but I had to scale back on a couple of my resolutions and I did struggle a bit. Two occasions arose where I had to break my vow of silence, but they were brief. And after 9 days, I found that I had to go into the computer, but at least I kept it down to a minimum. However, I read all the books and then some, and did all the rest I said I would, including meditation, visualization and walks. My food supply was a bit sparse for the third week, but not too bad. And I managed to maintain my no shopping vow! That’s a big accomplishment for me, especially at this time of the year. Three weeks seemed like a long time again, like when I was a child waiting for something. I think a retreat like this is a good way to get things in perspective.

The reason I had to start using the computer during my Retreat is because I was expecting a reimbursement payment for the Belgium Conference on Positive Visions for Biodiversity, but it did not come through. Attempts were made to contact me about my account number being wrong, but by the time I replied, I think everyone was on holiday because I received no further word about it.  So money gets the blame once again.  This broke my resolve about not using the computer for the rest of my Retreat. At the other extreme, I received no less than five emails to advise that delivery of Prince Charles’ new book, Harmony, A Vision for Our Future would be delayed until after the New Year! Then I realised that it was a children’s version of Harmony, A New Way of Looking At Our World and cancelled the order!

Meanwhile, instead of reading the Prince’s book, I enjoyed a Roman emperor's book, the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius translated by George Long (with Introduction and Notes), which he originally wrote in Greek nearly 2000 years ago. I also read The Apology, Phaedo and Crito of Plato, translated by Benjamin Jowett and The Golden Sayings of Epictetus, translated by Hastings Crossley, all part of a Harvard Classics edition that I’ve had sitting around for years but never had the chance to read. These ancient writings show just how deep seated some of our problems are that we face today, but also how far we have advanced in many ways.  They're partly the cause of my feeling in a time warp.

I came across something in the Meditations of M. Aurelius that I think needs reviving today which I quote below. However, I noted that his father’s lack of curiosity about what he ate was not wise and certainly would not be a good idea today!

“... that I received clear and frequent impressions about living according to nature, and what kind of a life that is, so that, so far as depended on the gods, and their gifts and help, and inspirations, nothing hindered me from forthwith living according to nature, though I still fall short of it through my own fault and through not observing the admonitions of the gods, and, I may almost say, their direct instructions...” (I, 17).

The word ‘gods’ could be substituted with ‘god’ or if you do not believe in a god, then there are many other words that you could use, such as soul, spirit, the universe, inner voice, etc. Whatever you want to call it, most people recognise that there is more to life than what we make of it on a linear level, but modern society, i.e., the consumerist market-based ethos that has enveloped the world, does not seem to abide by this fact.

I wrote six articles while on my Retreat with positive visions and affirmations to help with this revival, which will all be posted as follows:

Positive Vision No. 1: Spread of the mmm Factor - Everyone is developing the ‘mmm’ factor and keeping a smile on their faces by eating wholesome foods. Everything’s good.

Positive Vision No. 2: Everyone is Avoiding Supplements - Everyone is avoiding supplements in their diet because they are getting all the needed nutrients and vitamins from whole foods. Everything’s as it should be.

Positive Vision No. 3: Transnational Corporations are Extinct - Global warming caused mass extinction of transnational corporations because they didn't heed the warning to stay out of the kitchen and couldn't stick the heat.  The coast is clear.

Positive Vision No. 4: The Ego is Conquered – Everyone is tuning out of false beliefs and into the truth. Everything’s true.

Positive Vision No. 5: Living Harmless - Everyone is tapping into their inner strength and licking the habit of harming themselves and radiating harm from themselves. Everything’s fine.

Positive Vision No. 6: Superior to None - Everyone is living as an integrated part of nature.  Smooth sailing ahead.

Photo credit: Time Warp